George Farris wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 10:38 +0300, Billy Cina wrote:
>
>>> Right, so if we want to use the manual in our Community Education course
>>> to introduce and teach Ubuntu Linux while charging the student a fee for
>>> the course, this would be okay?
>>>
>>> Note: these are not degree courses they fall into the same category as
>>> "learn to paint" or "better life through yoga".  Strictly for community
>>> personal interest with charges usually between $50.00 - $199.00
>>>

>> Non-profit are key words. $50 - $199.00 sounds like profit seeking to me.
>>
>> Billy Cina
>>

> Exactly which brings me back to the original question.
>
> It seems a little out of touch with the rest of Ubuntu.
>
> If one can take Hardy Heron and use it to present a course on Linux
> while charging for the course, why wouldn't you have the license similar
> for the documents?  Charge for the course (not the material) but use the
> material to refer to in the course.
>
> Cheers

Dear George and Blaise,

Am addressing both in the same email.

Ubuntu is a free distribution and will always continue to be free.
However, this does not mean that every service provided to support
Ubuntu or its further expansion must also be free. Both the Ubuntu
community  and Canonical have invested a lot of time and money in
developing this course, it is therefor reasonable for: a. the community
to be able to use the material (freely) to further spread the work of
Ubuntu and grow the user base, and b. for Canonical to determine who
should be seeking a profit out of its investment.

Best regards

--
Billy Cina
Training Programmes Manager