On Monday 05 May 2008 04:02, Billy Cina wrote:
> George Farris wrote:

> >> Non-profit are key words. $50 - $199.00 sounds like profit seeking to
> >> me.
> >>
> >> Billy Cina
> >
> > Exactly which brings me back to the original question.
> >
> > It seems a little out of touch with the rest of Ubuntu.
> >
> > If one can take Hardy Heron and use it to present a course on Linux
> > while charging for the course, why wouldn't you have the license similar
> > for the documents?  Charge for the course (not the material) but use the
> > material to refer to in the course.
> >
> > Cheers
>
> Dear George and Blaise,
>
> Am addressing both in the same email.
>
> Ubuntu is a free distribution and will always continue to be free.
> However, this does not mean that every service provided to support
> Ubuntu or its further expansion must also be free. Both the Ubuntu
> community  and Canonical have invested a lot of time and money in
> developing this course, it is therefor reasonable for: a. the community
> to be able to use the material (freely) to further spread the work of
> Ubuntu and grow the user base, and b. for Canonical to determine who
> should be seeking a profit out of its investment.
>
> Best regards

The exact same argument applies equally well to the Ubuntu distribution.  I
don't see how it's somehow better for documentation that the community
contributed to than for the distribution.

Personally, I don't expect there's much more point in discussing this as this
seems to me to be typical of Canonical's schizophrenia about FOSS.

Scott K