Terry Sikes wrote:
> What's the recommended method for setting up an Ubuntu 8.04 system as
> a development station with no Internet access? I installed from CD,
> and got gcc, but no g++, gcj or other goodies. I'd also like to get
> Octave going on the system, but it didn't appear to be on the
> distribution CD. The DVD images apparently don't include more
> software, just localized Ubuntu versions?
How much can you expect a CD to contain? The number of default
application in the Ubuntu installation is increasing day by day and the
capacity of a CD still remains 700MB. gcc,g++,make etc development tools
are wrapped around in a package named as 'build-essential' which is
there in the CD. The compilers are installed but glibc, the C library is
not installed which can be installed by putting in the CD, adding CD to
repo, updating the index and then installing the "build-essential" package.
The DVD Image contains only the main repo AFAIK, no the Universe. The
packages in main are very less, most of the Open Source Softwares which
one uses are in universe.
> I did run across the idea of apt repositories on DVD, is anyone aware
> of such .iso files for developer tools (8.04 compatible)? It'd be
> great to just use Synaptic with a DVD.
AFAIK Ubuntu officially does not provide any such DVD's. People have
created it, google for it, you would surely get one.
If you want to create one, install aptoncd.

Regards,
Manish