On Sat, 2008-11-22 at 10:33 +0100, mr wrote:
> Thats a _really_ nice idea, they would have to pay a "partner" company
> to create and distribute the keys though.

I would not have thought there would be a shortage of offers. One
partner per country would be enough. I'm sure the Open Source Consortium
of companies in the UK and/or Schoolforge UK would act as a distributor
but I believe having a Canonical definitive version of the distribution
image for USB is important because it helps give confidence and
consistency to the marketing and reduces the chances of unforeseen
gliches.

> Sorry for leading this off topic btw.

Not that far off topic because having a USB install officially supported
would also help those with no or slow internet connections since more
apps could fit on it and so less to download. In some ways in these
circumstances it is better to have too many apps installed and uninstall
the ones you don't want than it is to start with only a few and have
download and install the missing ones. On-line updates would still be an
issue though.