On 2009/02/26 19:15 (GMT-0600) Chris Cheney composed:

>> On 26/02/09 14:31, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Real-world DPI has been steadily increasing from release to
>> release.

> I don't see this to actually be the case. Even with laptops it seems
> that ~ 130 dpi is the maximum that most manufacturers are doing. I had a

It wasn't that long ago that they switched from 4:3 to widescreen. Before
that point, it was mostly 15" on 1024x768 (85 DPI), 17" on 1280x1024 (96 DPI)
& 19" on 1280x1024 (86 DPI) taking over from a lower average on CRTs. There's
still a lot of those in use. They mostly aren't replaced or soon to be
replaced yet.

> laptop about 5 years ago that was 133 dpi and even today it is hard to
> find laptops with higher than 133 dpi screens. Even most netbooks with
> their tiny screens are below 130 dpi.

Overall the manufacturers are no dummies. They seem to know how poor is
support for higher in available desktop environments. Support for 120 DPI in
WinXP is poor, for higher, terrible. I've not heard that it has improved
significantly in Vista. Poorer performance from more expensive products does
not well generate sales and minimize returns. Manufacturers could be
providing higher if poor support wasn't the norm for the foreseeable future.
1920x1200 on 15.4" proves 140+ technology already exists that could be
provided in desktop displays. If and when real resolution independence
happens, DPI will go up faster.

http://fm.no-ip.com/auth/Font/fonts-pt2px-tabled.html shows a bit about
results of common pixel font sizes in context of the display population. Note
at at 96 DPI, 16px is 12pt, 14px is one size larger than 10pt, and 12px is
9pt, while at 120 DPI, 16px is commonly the size used to render 10pt
(16.667px to be somewhat precise in actuality).
--
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your
mouths, but only what is helpful for building

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/