Nicolò Chieffo wrote:
> I totally agree that it's confusing

Is it confusing just because it's different to what you've been used to?
I know it's not a justification, but OSX have been using exactly the
same metaphor for many years now and it seems to be working out very well.

There was a significant problem with the old icon (2 monitors), it was
*totally* mysterious (what 2 monitors have to do with network
connection?) and we had many complaints.
There were couple of other reasons for trying out this new solution:

1. The *only* way to connect to a wireless network (which is the essence
of connectivity these days) is by clicking on the network icon.
Therefore it should be something that users would associate with
wireless networking.
2. Having 0 signal = not connected may not be true from technical
perspective, but it is true from practical perspective. You have no
signal, therefore you won't be able to browse the web. Click on the icon
to do something about it (check what's going on, connect to a different
network, etc).

I appreciate critical voices, but please be constructive. One thing I'm
sure of is that we will not bring back the old icon. :)
Any suggestions as to how to improve the current situation are more than
welcome!

Many thanks,
Mat