> I don't think there's any use discussing whether we think a GUI or CLI
> is better. Shouldn't we focus on what the typical business wants and
> what they're prepared to use?
>
> Although it seems that the first topic to discuss is how the uid/gid system
> can be changed or mapped to support local and domain accounts
> (forgive me if I'm not using the correct terminology).
>
> -Ryan

I mentioned this the other day, and other than a few people making off line
comments indicating that they had never heard of the product, my suggestion of
GOsa got completely ignored.  While not perfect by any stretch of the
imagination, I think it solves the problem that is being acknowledged here,
without being mentioned.  That problem is that end users (despite lack of
proper education), want to feel like they are in control.  That is easily
obtained if you just twist your thinking a little, and take a look at GOsa.

GOsa is a glorified LDAP editor.  A shiny, pretty, drop dead easy to use LDAP
editor.  It is the Debian equivalent to the Apple directory services.  And it
is already in the Ubuntu repositories.

With GOsa, you can allow your end users to add accounts, email, ftp access,
SAMBA access, etc, without actually giving them access to the actual system.
Admins should always handle the big stuff, such as firewalls, and whatnot.  But
managers want to state who has access to the VPN... Enter GOsa.  Store that
stuff in LDAP, and allow the end user to feel like they are driving, while the
admin actually deals with the much more difficult job of configuring the
software.

I will repeat again... Look at GOsa, it is exactly what you guys have been
asking for.

Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer
Computer and Communications Technology, Inc
A division of Japan Communications Inc
(303) 708-9228 x326