On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 23:37 +0800, Christopher Lees wrote:
> My favourite method of saving a document was in RiscOS; when you opened
> the 'save' dialog, it was just a small window with the document icon, a
> filepath and an OK button. When you were doing your initial save (or a
> "Save As...") you just dragged the icon to where you wanted to save it
> to. In subsequent saves, you just hit the OK button.

I have a slightly crazy idea. What if documents didn't have to be saved?
You could just start writing (or doing whatever you do in the particular
application), and the program magically remembers what you were doing in
case you closed the program, or it crashed. Of course, you want to give
documents names, so that should still be possible through some means.

It's a bit like an e-mail application: you can give an e-mail a subject
line or not, and as long as you don't send it, it's in the Drafts
directory. Once you send it, it moves to the Sent directory.

The only explicit way to save a document, would be to put it on
removable media. You can have a nice "burn to cd" icon, or a "copy to
USB stick icon". Or that dragging UI that you propose.

I read somewhere that GNOME 3 is rethinking the saving documents
concept, so maybe this will all be a moot point by then.

--
Remco