For what my input is worth, I'd just like to point out that I'm one of those
people who is annoyed when an app which runs in the systray *exits* when I
close the interface window (main or otherwise). For apps that support the
"minimise to tray" functionality instead of "closing the window minimises to
tray" idea, I find it particularly difficult to re-train myself to minimise
instead of close. To me, minimise means "minimise to the task bar".

Personally, I don't think that an extra button in the title-bar would cut
the mustard either. Seems that the only viable option that I can see is to
handle both preferences (far be it for me to force *my* preferences on
another person) -- perhaps the solution is a global preference for this kind
of thing so that neither I nor the OP have to configure multiple tray-aware
apps to bend to our personal preference.

This option could perhaps be a checkbox in the "Window Preferences" settings
dialog available from System->Preferences->Windows

Of course, getting tray-aware apps to honor this setting is a whole other
bowl of pudding entirely.