Brandon Kuczenski wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> John McCabe-Dansted wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe. But the paradigm isn't really that pressing the Close
>>> button minimizes the window to the systray.
>>
>> I beg to differ.  Think as a user, not a developer.  I submit that
>> _users_ do not generally understand a difference between minimizing to
>> the tray or the task bar - except that they know something minimized to
>> the task bar is taking up more space.
>>
>>> The paradigm is that closing a
>>> window closes that window *and* that closing a window never closes a
>>> service.
>>
>> Again, I disagree.  Users think "close" and don't stop to think...
>>
>>> I think most people would be confused if e.g. clicking close on
>>> the main sound preferences dialog stopped the sound server.
>>
>> ...what closing a sound server means.  I think most people are confused
>> by
>> _any_ change to their system.  [I'm confused by the fact that Firefox now
>> has the ability to hang my entire machine, which it only started to do
>> with
>> the last upgrade]  Yes, making the close button shut down a server and
>> the minimize button minimize to either the task bar or the system tray
>> _would_ be initially confusing but imo is more logical, and would be more
>> intuitive.
>>

> I think it's unwise to try to imagine a 'typical' user.

I thought that was my point.  We shouldn't be "imagining", we should
actually be trying to figure out who the typical user is.

> There are
> [apparently] a great many people who like the way mac handles the
> desktop environment- I have never been able to fathom it, but that's why
> I don't use it.  (among other reasons :P )  Mac users and Windows users
> coming to Ubuntu will expect different things- but Ubuntu is something
> else entirely

I couldn't care less who Mac, Windows and Ubuntu users are - I just wish
people were designing to some UI standard, and would hope that we had some
analysis that would suggest a good direction for that standard.  Instead, we
have people designing any old UI that works for them, with human issues
largely ignored.  That way lies slavish imitation, not innovation.  Whatever
you think of the Mac interface (I can't fathom it either), it exists because
Apple _knows_ that it works for a large number of people.
--
derek