Hey Louis,

Sounds great and looks like a pretty good script, I have some comments:

You may be able to make it a little faster by using the find results in
one like like this:

find / -type f -name "*.svg" -print0 | xargs -0 -I FILE sh -c
'/tmp/scour/scour.py --enable-id-stripping --indent=none -i FILE -o
FILE-opt && test -s FILE-opt && mv FILE-opt FILE || rm FILE-opt'

Although if you can get all that into a script file, so much the better
so it's not all on one line. But at least it's not doing a find 3 times
for the same files.

Do you need to chroot into the file system to perform these steps?
considering that your downloading code to do it (with bzr which isn't
installed ont he cd). Would it not be good to perform these steps
outside of the squashfs and iso file system?

For instance I got resolve issues when it tried to do the apt update.

Consider doing a check to see if the iso exists before reserving
scratch, errors are likely if you don't.

Are there no more things that could be optimised? For instance does
using xmllint with --noblanks on the 12496 xml files save any space?

Finally... should some of these optimisations work their way upstream so
all packages have optimised files, smaller downloads, smarter mirror
storage etc?

Martin,