At 2010-05-21 04:41 GMT, Martin Owens <docto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there no more things that could be optimised? For instance does
> using xmllint with --noblanks on the 12496 xml files save any space?

My testing with XML files is done now, and here are the results! (And
the modified script, attached to this email)

'xmllint --noblanks --nsclean FILE' gives savings of 3 MB
(pre-squashfs). It actually *enlarges* some files containing non-7-bit
characters, such as gconf-tree in French (by a bit, due to accented
chars), Greek and Japanese (by a lot, due to every single text-node
character being entity'd).

'xmllint --noblanks --nsclean --encode utf-8 FILE' gives savings of 10
MB. It shrinks even the French, Greek and Japanese files.

On the squashfs'd side, this gives modest savings of 0.79 MB.

HOWEVER: The optimisations made card games (Klondike etc.) unplayable,
as no cards appear, due to the change in
/usr/share/gnome-games-common/cards/gnomangelo_bitmap.svg. Gbrainy
started crashing when a new game of verbal analogies was started, due
to xmllint's addition of an <?xml?> tag in
/usr/share/games/gbrainy/verbal_analogies.xml. Nautilus lost its
toolbars, icons and right-click menu. The help viewer (System / Help
and Support) complains that every file is not a well-formed XML
document. So perhaps XML optimisations aren't so good? :(

1379 HTML files could be optimised too, but they might get hopelessly
mangled by xmllint - is there a utility for that?

136 JPEG files... well, those are lossy :)

379 GIF files... some are in HTML docs and could be replaced with
PNGs, but that can't be done automatically, and so the Ubuntu Doc team
would have to get involved. (the images are so small it's probably not
worth it, except to get away from the LZW patent...) There are
spinner/throbber animations in .gif format in some packages (Gwibber,
Rhythmbox), as well as animated clipart in OpenOffice, which probably
can't get replaced.

1 TIFF image:
/usr/share/app-install/icons/_usr_lib_GNUstep_Applications_GTAMSAnalyzer.app_Resources_largeApp.tif
- This could become a PNG too.