On 07.10.2010 18:07, John McCabe-Dansted wrote:

>> That's an interesting optimisation; I didn't really know about it
>> either. However, I did use 7zip's Deflate compressor to recompress a
>> .zip file of OpenOffice.org's from 5.9 MB to 5.4 MB. The method was
>> rather crude, but it did the job:
>>
>> mkdir extracted
>> cd extracted
>> unzip ../file.zip
>> 7z a -tzip -mx=9 -mfb=258 file.repack.zip extracted/*
>> rm -r extracted
>
> You mean images_human.zip? I have a hunch that compressing that file
> wouldn't actually save space on the liveCD as I can gzip it down to
> 3.9MB. It may be better to leave it as an uncompressed zip, and let
> squashfs deal with it. Recompressing the pngs contained in the zip
> sounds worthwhile though. Strangely, even running advzip -z -0
> images_human.zip shrinks it by 3%, and even shrinks the corresponding
> images_human.zip.gz file
>
> Also, there are 12MB of jar files, which are basically zip files. We
> can also shrink those by 5MB or so with advzip, but that doesn't seem
> to shrink a .tgz of them so it may not shrink the liveCD. Since zip
> files compress file by file, we may be able to save space on the
> liveCD by running "advzip -z -0" on them. That would expand them to
> 24MB, but reduces the size of a .tgz of them to 4.6MB, possibly saving
> space on the liveCD if squashfs is similarly efficient.

how does OOo behave with the repacked zip file? is it faster, slower, does it
need more memory when it runs?  imo, changes like this should be integrated
into
the package build process, and sent upstream. patches welcome.

same for jar files. are these extracted as fast as without your changes by the
jvm? if not, then these should be left alone (and afaik there shouldn't be any
jar files on the live CD).

   Matthias