Argh, got sent to the wrong email. Is the Reply-To-Element missing on the List?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: Eventually drop the top-panel?
Date:   Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:32:07 +0200
From:   Kai Mast <kai.m...@freakybytes.org>
To:     Matthew Paul Thomas <m...@canonical.com>

On 27.06.2011 11:39, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
 This would mean that we could drop all the "maximize to panel" and
 >   globalmenu-patches.
 I don't know what you mean by "maximize to panel". As for the global
 menu, patches for that are heading upstream for Firefox, Thunderbird,
 and LibreOffice 3.4.
I don't mean the global menu but the way the maximized window and the
top-panel get merged. Imo this is a sign that the top-panel has no use
anymore..

 >                        Functionality like the sound menu could also be
 >   included into the jumplist of the dash...
 That would mean things like the time, volume, and battery status would
 be invisible much of the time, and would take up much of the launcher
 when they were visible. It would be the worst of both worlds.
With sound menu I meant the way you can control you music player via
indicators. It would be way more straightforward if one could control
the music player via a jumplist (=right-click-menu).

Well, you're right some indicators are still needed like the battery or
network indicator, but this doesn't justify a whole top panel in my
opinion. We could move the indicator area into the dash or even better
use something like the once proposed wingpanel:
http://cdn.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/sipzz.jpg

My problem with the current situation is that a lot of functionality is
duplicated. Empathy for example indicates new messages on the dash and
also in the messaging-indicator...

greetings,
Kai