Kai Mast wrote on 27/06/11 22:50:
> On 27.06.2011 11:39, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> This would mean that we could drop all the "maximize to panel" and
>>> globalmenu-patches.
>>
>> I don't know what you mean by "maximize to panel". As for the global
>> menu, patches for that are heading upstream for Firefox, Thunderbird,
>> and LibreOffice 3.4.
>
> I don't mean the global menu but the way the maximized window and the
> top-panel get merged. Imo this is a sign that the top-panel has no use
> anymore..

I don't understand that logic at all.

>>>                      Functionality like the sound menu could also be
>>>  included into the jumplist of the dash...
>> That would mean things like the time, volume, and battery status
>> would be invisible much of the time, and would take up much of the
>> launcher when they were visible. It would be the worst of both
>> worlds.
>
> With sound menu I meant the way you can control you music player via
> indicators. It would be way more straightforward if one could control
> the music player via a jumplist (=right-click-menu).

It would be much less straightforward, for three reasons. First, the
launcher is visible much less often than the launcher is. Second, even
when it is visible, launcher items are sometimes folded off the bottom
of the launcher, while nothing like that ever happens to the sound menu.
And third, a quicklist is accessible only if the music player is running
or is one of your favorites, whereas the sound menu is accessible all
the time.

> Well, you're right some indicators are still needed like the battery
> or network indicator, but this doesn't justify a whole top panel in my
> opinion.

That's possibly true. Phone OSes typically use a whole top panel just
for indicators, but they have much less width to work with.

But it's also irrelevant, because in Ubuntu the menu bar is not used
just for indicators, it is also used for window menus. That would be a
good thing even if there were no indicator menus at all.

>          We could move the indicator area into the dash

That would be even worse than moving it into the launcher.

>                                                         or even better
> use something like the once proposed wingpanel:
> http://cdn.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/sipzz.jpg

The wingpanel is mostly a false economy. It relies on you having
something useful to do with the left ~70% -- but not the right ~30% --
of the top row of the screen, which is unlikely.

> My problem with the current situation is that a lot of functionality
> is duplicated. Empathy for example indicates new messages on the dash
> and also in the messaging-indicator...

As far as I know, Empathy does not indicate new messages anywhere in the
Dash. It is true that it uses both the launcher and the messaging menu,
and that this is duplication. But the messaging menu aggregates new
messages from multiple applications, and it's not at all obvious how
this could be done in the launcher. Either new Empathy messages would be
shown only in a launcher item that *wasn't* the Empathy one, which would
be bizarre; or they would be shown in both the Empathy launcher item and
the aggregated launcher item, making the duplication much more jarring
than it is with the messaging menu.

- --
mpt