On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 03:47 -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
>  - gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 - Non-free, not sure why we're using this
> instead of libmad which is free software.

We aren't "using" any of them, actually. We are packaging several, which
are not installed by default, within an appropriate place due to their
licensing and legal concerns.

The 'mad' MP3 decoder for gstreamer is in the -ugly package because
libmad is a GPL library instead of LGPL. Even if it was LGPL, and
included in the gstreamer -base plug-ins package, Debian would determine
it belongs in nonfree due to the patent and licensing issues of the
codec itself, and so we would still be placing that binary in
restricted.

The Fluendo plug-in is the only fully legal MP3 codec implementation
there is to use.