On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 05:52:16PM -0400, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Here's a link to an article that talks about Fedora's idea:
> > http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Fedora-considers-moving-all-binaries-to-usr-bin-1369642.html?view=print
> >

> That would mean that we need to drop the possibility to have /usr on a
> separate partition/network file system, or make the initramfs
> clever/complicated enough to actually wait for /usr to come up.

Is a separate /usr currently fully supported in Ubuntu?

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
argues rather convincingly that udev rules might be trying to access
things like /usr/share/misc/pci.ids during early boot, at least in
Fedora.

> Also, the separation of /sbin and /usr/sbin is not just totally
> random; for non-admin users it makes them not appear in tab completion
> etc, which cleans up the command namespace a bit.

Doesn't Ubuntu put both /usr/bin and /usr/sbin in $PATH by default for
all users?  My /etc/environment contains

  PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"

and I'm quite sure I haven't edited it by hand.

Marius Gedminas
--
I'm a sorceress, not a miracle worker.
        -- The Spellsong War by L. E. Modesitt, Jr.