On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:11:47AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 10, 2012 08:46:23 PM Dane Mutters wrote:
> Ubuntu is on a train and that train is called Unity.  The tracks are being
> laid within Canonical and it is very difficult to influence where they are
> being
> put down from the outside.  The Canonical design team has started to engage
> the community to discuss some of the relevant issues (although I haven't been
> following the details).  You should accept that you aren't going to make
> major
> changes in where Unity is headed.  It just isn't going to happen from the
> outside.
>
> You can either get on this Unity train or pick another one.  Those are really
> the choices.  Personally, I run Kubuntu.  Xubuntu is also very popular.  I
> believe that there is a community forming around the idea of trying to
> similarly provide a Gnome 3 experience from within the Ubuntu project.  You
> need to figure out which one you like best.  They all have their advantages
> and
> disadvantages.

Lets put this in context. The final say is the customer.
Ubuntu has got some problems right now, not just in the
GUI, and I know of some sysadmins who have, after much
strong language, gone back to straight Debian in the rack
as well.

I have been installing and recommending Ubuntu for the
rack and desktop for several years now. I'm not religious
about it. It's just a tool. If the tool becomes unfit
or less effective for the purpose, I'll move to something
else, as will many many others for whom this is just
a business and is their livelihood.

Even Microsoft has had problems with their attempts
to change the GUI, even though they have kept much
compatibility... people are still installing Windows
XP Pro and many large offices have refused to upgrade.
Why? Because the loss of productivity during a change
of procedures they don't need and the retraining costs
and down time for staff.

I would be happy enough if you would put a selection
panel with radio buttons itemizing the major choices for
GUI. Pre-tick the Unity. But put installers a mouse
click away from what they actually want.

This peeve is a larger one though. A change in GUI should
always be an optional exercise for an office. Anything
that affects a business should be a matter of choice by
the customer.

Oh, and guys, get your act together on the virtual
machine stuff... that was why one very senior sysadmin
pulled Ubuntu and swore he'd never install it again...
it was taking down a VM hosting machine every day or
so and giving the ISP no end of grief from customers
who were paying for high reliability service. He went
to Debian squeeze and there have been no crashes in
the last 6 months.