On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Phillip Susi <ps...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Do you consider repeating a question on IRC once every minute spamming?
> Every 5 minutes?  Most people would say yes.  You take that time out to once
> an hour and in that time frame new people often join the channel, or come
> back from AFK and tend not to read everything that was said while they were
> gone, so repeating after an hour is likely to get someone's attention that
> otherwise would not have noticed.

On IRC I would not.  I don't know how subjective that POV is, we see
repeats on development IRC's all the time, often not that spread apart
and nobody gets bothered by it.  That is on... #ruby, #ruby-lang,
#python and others.  If it was email I still would not, as I would not
see the 'repeats', my mail client, as well as the service I use
automatically hides accidental or perpetual repeats as to reduce
clutter.  I would hope that most Gmail users also agree since they
have the same feature except it doesn't hide them, just minimizes them
(but my client actually hides them.)

The time frame is subjective though, an hour could be a day, so... by
that... he did not 'spam' as you put it.

> On a mailing list, the audience isn't changing frequently and the messages
> generally are all read so if nobody replies, it is probably because either
> nobody knows, or nobody cares.  Often times people go 24 hours or more before
> catching up on reading the list, so that isn't even enough time for everyone
> to have seen your message, and had a chance to reply.  Given those two
> factors, repeating yourself every day is a waste of everyone's time.

Not caring is one of the big problems I see quite often, and as
somebody who has an Ubuntu email, if you don't care we have bigger
problems to deal with other than bugs that are considered unimportant
(as another put it) and never responded to.  Big project is not an
excuse to at least respond.  Picking your battles is entirely
different then knowing and acknowledging future battles.  I think you
wasted your own time (while blaming him for 'wasting your time' by
responding with something other then a proper answer.  What I am
saying is you've created your own inefficiency by responding at all
and then blame him for creating one too.

Perhaps the more prudent to (when somebody files a bug) tell the user
in the success message "if this ticket is not responded to within 2
weeks please ping a developer via [insert mailing list email]" and
also (which is quite easy) do the same to users who don't post,
stating something to the effect of "this ticket is still rather new
and less then two weeks old, please do not ping any developers" and
"this ticket is older than two weeks, if you are experiencing this
problem please ping a developer" This would curve this so called spam,
somewhat. People will still ignore it, such is life, but being more
intuitive from your bug system would ultimately create more
efficiency.

There are even other ideas, such as just creating a ping button on the
tracker itself one that would first ping bugsquad and then after it's
been confirmed or otherwise pings a developer or the team behind the
package or feature.  This would keep people off the mailing list...
And you could even limit it globally to two weeks or whatever.

That said... If your email client and you aren't efficient enough to
figure out that they are repeats we are starting to see why you can't
respond in a timely fashion.  Though I still find it ironic you state
it's a waste of your time for him to do this yet you wasted your own
time by telling him he wasted your time.  Regardless of changing
subjects and changing text in the email one should be able to quickly
deduce it as a repeat and skip over it... by the subject alone.