Martin Albisetti <argent...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Scott Kitterman
><ubu...@kitterman.com> wrote:
>> I think you're throwing the CoC at someone for expressing dissent is
>worse.
>> It's not like he's expressing a perspective that's not reasonably
>widely held.
>
>It is unrelated to this thread, where, as I pointed out, has been
>positive and actually in favor of better and more efficient privacy
>and security. Throwing in a different topic only serves to derail the
>conversation.
>This is not expressing dissent with what is being discussed, this is
>expressing dissent with something that's part of a different
>conversation.
>Lets keep the Ubuntu world a nice place to be in.
>
>There is a specific part of the CoC that addresses this point, where
>you are unhappy with a decision that has been made in the project:
>
>"We value discussion, data and decisiveness
>
>We gather opinions, data and commitments from concerned parties before
>taking a decision. We expect leaders to help teams come to a decision
>in a reasonable time, to seek guidance or be willing to take the
>decision themselves when consensus is lacking, and to take
>responsibility for implementation.
>
>The poorest decision of all is no decision: clarity of direction has
>value in itself. Sometimes all the data are not available, or
>consensus is elusive. A decision must still be made. There is no
>guarantee of a perfect decision every time - we prefer to err, learn,
>and err less in future than to postpone action indefinitely.
>
>We recognise that the project works better when we trust the teams
>closest to a problem to make the decision for the project. If we learn
>of a decision that we disagree with, we can engage the relevant team
>to find common ground, and failing that, we have a governance
>structure that can review the decision. Ultimately, if a decision has
>been taken by the people responsible for it, and is supported by the
>project governance, it will stand. None of us expects to agree with
>every decision, and we value highly the willingness to stand by the
>project and help it deliver even on the occasions when we ourselves
>may prefer a different route."
>
>The decision has been made, if you still have an issue take it up with
>the proper team.
>

>> Personally, I think lack of control over privacy is one of the major
>> shortcomings in all the major offerings available today and if Ubuntu
>Phone
>> were to significantly distinguish itself in this regard it would be a
>positive
>> discriminator in it's favor for users.  Phones are a bit trickier
>though
>> because in many cases (virtually all in the US) the "customer" for a
>phone OS
>> is either the hardware manufacturer or the telco.  These customers
>may have a
> [...]

I think your replies to both of us make his point rather better than he did.

It's just a fact that the non-Unity flavors are better configured for privacy
and flinging the CoC at people who say so doesn't change that.  That also seems
to me like something that totally on topic.

No need to throw the CoC at me again in another reply.  I'm done with this
thread. Sorry for being confused about this being a list where Ubuntu
development is discussed.

Scott K