It's not much good to know that an app is misbehaving. I'd like to stop
it.

Having an all-or-nothing choice, like Android, often means that apps get
feature creep, and before you know it your apps have far more
permissions than you'd prefer. Individually we may know that we have a
choice to not use the app, but social forces mean that we generally have
to use it anyway. Few people spend time on writing or improving an
alternative app if "everyone" is already using the one that needs too
many permissions).

I'd like to see an alternative where the app won't even know when it
doesn't have permission to do something.

If I didn't give it permission to have GPS, it'll just see that I have
GPS turned off all the time to save battery.  If I didn't give it
permission to have Internet access, I'd like the app to think that I
just happen not to have neither wifi nor phone signal right now.  If I
don't want to give it permission to view my contacts, it should just see
an empty address book. No permission to use my accelerator? The app
should just think that I don't have one.