On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 12:36:17 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>Imagine you'll maintain your install, using a workflow that can be used
>for a clean systemd install.
>
>[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ systemctl list-unit-files | grep alice
>alice.service                          enabled
>[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ systemctl list-unit-files | grep rtirq
>[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$
>

>Looks like rtirq isn't enabled, but de facto it's enabled.
>
>[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ systemctl list-units | grep alice
>alice.service
>loaded active exited    Alice PPPoE
>[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ systemctl list-units | grep rtirq
>rtirq.service
>loaded active exited    LSB: Realtime IRQ thread tunning.
>[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ systemctl status alice | grep active Active:
>active (exited) since Mon 2015-08-17 22:55:32 CEST; 13h ago
>[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ systemctl status rtirq | grep active Active:
>active (exited) since Mon 2015-08-17 22:55:33 CEST; 13h ago

You might say, simply don't use "list-unit-files" and you might find one
workaround after the other, but then there's no compatibility among
different distros and the list of workarounds becomes longer and longer.

Let's say you'll maintain several installs by a script using
  sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/point systemctl foo
then you can't simply avoid using "list-unit-files".

[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/archlinux/
[sudo] password for weremouse:
Failed to create directory /mnt/archlinux/sys/fs/selinux: Read-only file system
Failed to create directory /mnt/archlinux/sys/fs/selinux: Read-only file system
[root@archlinux ~]# systemctl list-units
Failed to get D-Bus connection: Operation not permitted
[root@archlinux ~]# systemctl status rtirq
Failed to get D-Bus connection: Operation not permitted
[root@archlinux ~]# systemctl list-unit-files | grep rtirq
rtirq.service                              enabled
[root@archlinux ~]# logout
[weremouse@moonstudio ~]$

Do you understand now why I call it a mess? Try to maintain Ubuntu from
another install by systemd-nspawn with scripts you use for other systemd
distros too.

--
Full text of "Guerilla Open Access Manifesto"
http://archive.org/stream/GuerillaOpenAccessManifesto/Goamjuly2008_djvu.txt