The vast majority of consumer boxes run Windows because of Microsoft's bundling deal with the manufacturers. It's nothing really to do with Windows performance or ease of use (both of which are poor). It's just that Mr./Ms. Everyday User doesn't really know much about computers, plugs the box in, and just uses what's presented to him/her.

"Just works" is a fantasy. There's plenty of Windows programs which don't "just work" -- I spend my days bouncing from one Windows box to another, trying to iron out small bugs or teach panicky users simple tasks. Most people can't set up a wireless router or configure a wireless printer, so Linux is a planet away. Linux-based distributions are still heavily reliant on the cli, and must remain so. We shouldn't give up the robustness of bash work so that linux desktop environments may mimic a dysfunctional proprietary OS.

Jordan