During the oneiric development cycle we had syncs of library packages from
experimental, introducing new sonames, and changing APIs in a way that other
packages need to be ported to the new API, or if the port isn't trivial, need to
be removed at the end of the cycle.  This doesn't add much benefit to the
distribution, compared to the work to clean up the distribution and forward port
packages which otherwise don't require this kind of work (assuming the package
is synced from Debian).  Options to handle such syncs could be

 - Keep the don't care attitude, and just remove packages at
   the end of the cycle (although removal of non-leaf packages
   comes with a price too, and isn't seen as user friendly).

 - Get approval for a library sync from experimental, listing
   the rdepends, API changes, and estimate the effort to
   complete this library transition.

 - Don't sync packages from experimental.

There were at least three libraries synced from experimental which required work
up into the beta phase (I don't have numbers for the "successful" syncs and
merges from experimental):

- dcmtk, synced from experimental during the end of the natty cycle,
  requested MIR (bug 702026). Left alone until the end of the oneiric
  cycle, then turned out that the library wasn't even needed. Caused
  some grief in bug 779170.  Unsure if the sync review would be a help,
  because in the end it was uploaded to unstable and the corresponding
  debian report is still open (debian 623145).

- libevent, synced from experimental on 2011-07-08, the sync was
  requested in bug 796187. A large number of packages still had
  to be converted from libevent1 to libevent2, and finally we
  had to package libevent1 to not remove other packages.
  Issues were discussed in other distros too:
  http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel/148007

- opal, synced on 2011-05-02, with unresolvable build dependencies,
  needed another version update and new versions of three packages
  during feature freeze (bug 836915). afaics, no discussion for
  the sync.

All three cases have in common that the packages were left alone for months. The
third example could have been avoided if we could check build dependencies when
syncing, and rejecting the sync when the b-d's are not fulfilled (although there
should be an override option).  All three cases would benefit from a review at
the time of the sync (the first case for natty only), and from my point of view
the cost for this review is still less than getting the issues resolved after
feature freeze.

  Matthias