Le lundi 10 octobre 2011 à 10:23 -0400, Scott Kitterman a écrit :

> If we try to reduce the work to the available developers by reducing
> the scope
> of the archive, then we are also reducing the pool of potentially
> interested
> developers as well.

There is still enough in the system components stack (or main) to be
interesting, do you think a stack of unmaintained "small softwares" in
universe is what makes people want to join the project? They could join
the same way to help getting those in extras with the benefits that:
- they wouldn't need to get access to the main archive, so their job
would be easier
- it wouldn't add new things to universe that will stay there if whoever
has been added those lost interest and create extra work
- it wouldn't force upstream developers to fit in an artificial 6 months
cycle which might not work for their project

It does make sense to freeze and ship a consistent archive for the
system components (base system, plumbers, desktop shells, default
applications), it doesn't make sense to try to make small softwares
(ubuntu-tweaks, simple-lightdm-manager, etc) respect our freezes, cycle,
rely on acl to upload to the main archive, etc

--
Sebastien Bacher