On Monday, October 10, 2011 06:40:33 PM Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le lundi 10 octobre 2011 à 12:34 -0400, Scott Kitterman a écrit :
> > What rationale would there be for doing that for just Universe?  There
> > are
> > lots of leaf applications in Main and lots of libraries in Universe.
>
> I think we should consider differently the system and the softwares so
> the using main and universe there might be wrong yes...
>
> Using Ubuntu with Unity (or GNOME) as an example the "system" would be
> the plumber, plymouth, lightdm, the desktop shell and the features
> integrated with the desktop (image and documents viewers, file manager,
> etc). That part should be under a strict process, respect freezes, etc.
>
> Then we have all the applications stack, basically things that microsoft
> users would go to install from the internet or that you would get from
> the appstores, those have no reason to have their freezes, schedules,
> etc tied to the OS itself or to the shell, they should be easier to
> update and be able to follow the rhythms upstream want to use for their
> softwares...
>
> Does it make sense?

It does makes lots of sense.

Was a main topic a year ago at the UDS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT5fUcMUfYg

is a big and old problem that hasn't seen much progress yet.

But there is an old bug about this, which seems to be currently being worked on
and/or used as reference/goal:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+bug/578045

-Manuel B.