On 03/09/2013 12:29 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
One thing I have not seen described (or possibly I missed it - there's been a
lot of traffic on this topic) is how the transition from "It's rolling" to
"We're getting ready to release an LTS" would happen?

Yes, there hasn't been much discussion on that yet. I see two possible options:

1) In the say, 3 months leading up to LTS, we impose a freeze. This would be basically what debian does, where they freeze testing, fix bugs, then finally release that as the new stable release. Then after the stable release, we open a new archive for the next development release. The down side to this is that for that time, new development stops.

2) Rather than upload to raring, then freeze, then release raring as stable, change the model slightly so we have uploads going to the "unstable" release. Then say, 3 months prior to the deadline for the new stable release, we open a new archive for that release, and copy the unstable release to it. Then bugs would be fixed in the stable release, while new development can continue concurrently in unstable.