This is an often repeated argument against Wubi, but there are some
problems with it.

1. Wubi isn't supposed to compete head-to-head with a normal install. I've
seen cases of people that aren't even aware they are using Wubi or what the
differences are, and this is definitely an issue. So I raised this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1078959

2. If point #1 is not understood then, yes, I can understand why people
would get upset about Wubi. But imagine if every time someone burned a live
CD and it failed and then we decided it was a problem and we should get rid
of live CDs because it was making Ubuntu look bad. No, I don't believe that
argument holds.

3. Wubi does in fact work well. I could forgive a newcomer to Ubuntu
thinking "why do a normal install when Wubi works so well". I can hear you
laughing, but this is actually stated often[*].

Yes there are bugs. Yes people have problems. But these need to be looked
at without emotion and used to make a rational decision. Saying "I have a
friend who..." or "I couldn't even get it working so..." or "Windows is
unstable therefore..." just doesn't add anything of value.

So to answer your main point... the journalist did make a mistake
recommending Wubi. I haven't seen anyone in mainstream put forward Wubi as
a viable long-term alternative or a production system. There should indeed
be warnings.

But we should IMO go further to understand what real positives and real
negatives they are, and arrive at a reasoned decision. And I'm fine with
that decision either way.

Regards,
bcbc