On 08/02/11 07:00, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 5 February 2011 03:45, James Westby <james.wes...@canonical.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 10:22:45 -0600, John Arbash Meinel
>> <j...@arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
>>> Now that I've described the state as I understand it, here are some
>>> questions.
>>>
>>> 1) As I understand it, most people are in favor of *not* versioning the
>>>    .pc directory. So that when you do "bzr branch lp:ubuntu/foo" you'll
>>>    get a tree with:
>>>      a) debian/patches/* still intact
>>>      b) Those patches applied to the working tree
>>>      c) no .pc directory
>>
>> Well, I'm in favour of *not* versioning the .pc directory, however I
>> don't immediately follow to your a, b and c.
>>
>> I am convinced that "check out and immediately start hacking" is a
>> property that we want.
>
> Very well put.
>
> At the moment it seems to me we need to either: import to looms and
> mandate using looms; or check in things with everything expanded and
> provide glue that will keep the quilt data up to date with the wt.
> (Perhaps they should be considered derived data and updated from a
> hook.)

I don't think we want to be checking in .pc at all.

Personally I quite like the simplicity of just checking in the package
with the patches NOT applied, but I gather people like being able to
navigate the actual history of the patched package.

Therefore, what about checking in the patched code, without any quilt
metadata (.pc dir) but with a flag file that triggers bzr-builddeb to
write out the appropriate metadata whenever a working tree is built for
such a branch?

(Writing out the metadata would consist of copying the series file to
.pc/applied-patches, and reverse-applying each patch in reverse order,
stashing the resultant modified file in .pc/<patchname>/<filename> for
each patch)

Max.