On 08/02/11 17:36, Micah Gersten wrote:
> On 02/08/2011 08:23 AM, Max Bowsher wrote:

>>> This would work for checkout. What are the implications for merge etc?
>> On consideration, the implications for merge are not pleasant.
>>
>> You'd need to quilt pop -a, merge the upstream (despite now having local
>> modifications from popping), resolve conflicts, don't commit, quilt
>> push, resolving conflicts in pushing the patches, and finally commit. Yuck.
>>
>> So, now I've realized the above, I'd go so far as to suggest that there
>> is no reasonable branch format in between "patches as quilt series,
>> *not* applied" and "full loomification".
>>
>> I think we should go ahead and change the package importer _now_ to
>> revert to importing 3.0 (quilt) source packages with patches *not*
>> applied. When it does so, it should probably write a
>> "debian/source/local-options" file containing "unapply-patches". This
>> will give us import branches that are actually usable for UDD-style
>> development *now*, which I think we currently do not have for 3.0
>> (quilt) packages.
>>
>> Once the problems surrounding ubiquitous looms have been solved, we can
>> think about switching the import format again, but at least we will then
>> have usable UDD between now and when we reach that point.
>>
>> Max.
>>

> I don't see quilt pop -a working without a .pc directory.  Isn't the .pc
> directory part of the source upload in source format 3?

The .pc directory is not part of an upload. It is created by dpkg-source
at extraction time. Currently it is then committed verbatim by the
package importer.

I am suggesting that it not be committed, but be synthesized at checkout
time.

Either way, it exists in the working copy when you are about to do a
merge, which is when my quilt pop -a above is suggested.

Max.