    > A huge amount of the UDD importer's interesting code is in one
    > file, icommon.py.

    > I'd like to submit a series of changes to break it up such that
    > only the most common bits of code remain there.

+1

    > Assuming the idea is liked, I think the best way to proceed would
    > be for me to do a single one of these moves, merge-propose it,
    > wait for approval, land it, and repeat the cycle until done.

Sounds like a good plan. I've been willing to do that too, the main risk
is to miss a dependency for a given script and catch it only when it
breaks. I've tried to identify all scripts and record where they were
used (see importer.crontab and etc-init.d-mass-import for some) but I'm
not sure I got them all.

I know this sounds a bit like FUD at this point so don't get too scared
either ;)

I won't mind additional smoke blackbox tests to cover that (but won't
block a patch because of that either).

    > This should minimize clashing with other branches trying to land,
    > and potentially awkward merges.

/me nods

    Vincent