On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 16:45 -0400, Dinbandhu wrote:
[...]
> I have tried typing with it, but it is not giving me Hindi characters.
> It just gives nonsense characters. Here is a sample of the characters
> that come when I type:
>
> क्ज्ल्स्लॠइहà¥à¥‹à¤µà¥à¤¿
[...]

How did you download the file? Depending on your browser and locale
settings, cutting and pasting from the file hi-baraha.mim opened in
a browser window might have changed Unicode (UTF-8) characters to
ISO-8859-1, which is what it sounds like from your description. Please
use wget from a terminal, i.e., in a terminal type
  wget http://oriya.sarovar.org/download/hi-baraha.mim
Alternatively, if you are using Firefox, you can also go to
http://oriya.sarovar.org/download , right-click on the link to the
file, hi-baraha.mim, and choose "Save Link As...", which will then
bring up a file-saving dialog. There must be an equivalent in other
browsers, but I am not sure where that would be.

[...]
> How does one log out and log back in? What or where is the command for
> that? I just rebooted my computer to restart SCIM. But it sounds like
> there is a much easier way.

To log in and log back out, choose "System Menu > Quit". This should
bring up a dialog with various options, one of which is "Log Out".
Clicking on this will end your X session, and bring you to a display
manager window which will let you log in again. It is also possible to
restart SCIM without even logging out, but given that it depends on
how you are starting SCIM, it would take too long to describe the
various possibilities.

Regards,
Gora