+++ Bhavani Shankar R [2007-10-31 13:29:13]:

> Not at all.. See one thing i have observed while i go to a talk is mainly
> students ask whether there is recognition if we do something for the community
> without having a page which describes the team participation and sort of
> stuff?

The FOSS world is a meritocracy you are have to prove yourself by your
actions and work. Websites, Forums and Announcements/Publicity are secondary
to actual programming/code contribution/releases. Whereas in the world of
proprietary software, it's the exact opposite you first have the website and
publicity in place.. the software comes last.

You are going about it in the exact wrong order. You want a page with your
name on it, even before you have actually contributed anything!
Which is not the way things work in the FOSS world.

You claimed that the Ubuntu-Bangalore team was about kannada localisation
efforts.

Your total contribution to the kannada localisation effort is "One Word"
according to launchpad. https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/~bhavi/

Just about every single person listed here
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+lang/kn
has contributed more to the Kannada localisation effort than you.

Why should they be willing to work under you, when they have clearly more
experience and proven contributions ?

(BTW Sticking with translations, "Google Earth" would translated to "Google
Prithvi" and not "Google Duniya" , Duniya = World. And your french
translations have glaring mistakes which stick out to native french
speakers. Avoid contributing translations in languages you aren't fluent in.)

If you see a problem with how the localisation team is going about
their work, join the team and help them work better. Nobody here is claiming
that they are perfect. And are more than willing to change the way things
work if shown a more efficient/beneficial way of doing things.

> (I mean contributing locally) because of the fact that many engineering
> students will have on campus placements and there the people who come as
> interviewers ask for proof of contribution if he/she has done so...

Proof of contribution doesn't necessarily have to be your name on the wall.

A mother doesn't maintain a log about everything she's done for her
child to prove that she's contributed to her children's development.

If you are proven contributor, even if your name isn't listed anywhere the
senior/active members of the project will know who you are and they will be
more than happy to be a referee you can list on your resume.

If you are looking for a job that is related to Linux/open source in India
you are missing the point that most of the members on this and other lists
are already working in those companies. And if you came across as a "doer of
things" and one who walks the walk and doesn't just talk the talk they would
be more than happy to recommend you for a job in their own company. (Actions
speak louder than words... and all we have seen from you so far is words)

I'm sure there are enough people here who would tell you that they have
landed jobs that way, because someone in the community noticed their work.

Kingsly