I think instead of making another Distro or flock based upon Ubuntu, i
suggest to make a addon pack with all customizations required for Indian
context like codecs( as bundling codecs is legal in india) and other
such which may be later decided upon. for example we can look at Ubuntu
studio.
By this we would have the following advantages:-

1) Don't have to care about maintaining packages, fixing bugs & most
important providing security updates

2) what all customization you would require can be done with the
resources we currently have

I would suggest, a add on cd upon existing Ubuntu install ion but
remaining compatible with Ubuntu will be a challenge.

maybe i am wrong somewhere( please correct me), but i am not so
experience as you guys are, so i can't code :(

Regards,
Gaurish Sharma