On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnaraya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Ritesh Sinha <sinha.k.rit...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>> I don't think this is a big deal (well apart from the Geode issue
>> which is quite problematic and should be patched). Most desktop
>> systems today are running i686 and systems that require 586 support
>> can stick with the LTS which already supports them.
>
>> I do not
>> understand the need to upgrade to the latest and greatest if you have
>> a machine that is working as required with the LTS.
>
> Am still running 9.10 and am happy with it and will only move up when
> access to the whole set of tools that i need is available. (meaning
> either offline repos or broad band)
>
>> It was inevitable, probably in a few years one would see
>> dropped support for 32 bit architectures.
>
> so is it better for people buying new machines to think in terms of 64 bit ??

You shouldn't have to worry about that. As far as I know _all_ newer
processors support 64 bit instructions (Intel Core Series/Newer Atoms,
AMD Athlons/Phenoms).

>>> **
>>> To find out what processor you have use this in the command line
> ~$ uname -m
> i686
>
> So will probably survive the meerket progress :-)
>
> and for any older machines (which according to a reponse in the
> article are processors older than 1996- whoah way way back so i think
> most people would be safe ) people can search for an appropriate small
> version of linux of which there are plenty
Exactly. They can also stick with the version that is already working for them.

Sent using the magic of the interwebs.
http://ritesh.posterous.com