2010/6/10 Mallikarjun <mallik.v.ar...@gmail.com>:

> This is surely a bad news, if not to all, but to some... I think
> Ubuntu or rather any Open Source OS should think about making 100%
> users happy, and not 99%...

I don't think it is as bad news as you are claiming. Ubuntu 10.04 is
an LTS and hence it will be supported with bug fixes for 3 years. So
even those who have very old hardware have a choice of running it for
next three years. They will miss new features but that is not
necessarily bad.
No OS, open source or otherwise, can make 100% users happy. Because no
matter what, they always find something to complain about.
Open source is about freedom to choose. And that freedom is also valid
for distribution makers. They have the right to decide what is best in
long run from maintenance point of view. For example. Sparc port of
Ubuntu, which is community maintained, will be decommissioned during
Maverick cycle.

> M$ made similar attempt in Vista and they failed, but that was much
> bigger change than what ubuntu has made. So I kind of having mixed
> reactions to Ubuntu these days...

As you have already said Vista was much bigger change. Vista was not
even capable of running on the systems in existence when it was
release. Also the so called 'Vista Capable' systems also were not well
equipped for Vista's intensive memory/processor usage.

> Looking at recent buzz around Ubuntu, I am try phase out to some other OS...

Debian is a good choice. Also you can try Fedora.

Onkar