On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnaraya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> exact quote below
>
> and link at http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/09/07/linux-mint-9-debian/
>
> 1. Is LMDE compatible with Ubuntu-based Linux Mint editions?
>
> No, it is not. LMDE is compatible with Debian, which isn’t compatible
> with Ubuntu.

I remember i had started the discussion on Rolling releases.
I have moved from Opensuse 9 to 10 to 11 and 11.1 and then to Ubuntu 9.10,
10.04 and will move to 10.10 when it comes out. This is to me is a lot of
work that i would like to avoid. That was the logic and reasoning for the
post. And I was looking at advice to install Arch, though the documentation
is quite detailed, it needs a live internet connection that I dont have (See
my other post about Sify, I need to login thru a browser). That is the only
reason I backed out of Arch. Otherwise I like its philosophy of simple and
elegant code and little cruft.

I also considered Sabayon and Sidux, as also AntiX, but decided to wait out,
before taking the plunge.

I will install a rolling release for sure, when i am a little more
experienced with both command line and trouble shooting.
I read the Mint Debian Edition blog today and loved it, as it is a Rolling
release. However i too will wait till 64bit comes out and the project
matured a bit more.

And Linux Mint is not moving to debian as base, but merely releasing another
edition based on Debian. I can install a few more distros on my system as i
have free partitions available for them, but i am not just because they
involve a big download.

But surely I am a Rolling Release guy who is using Ubuntu till he is more
comfortable with Linux in general. I am also a frugal guy who believes an OS
should not use up a huge amount of HD space. So something that fits in 4-5
GB max is what i will install.