On Friday 17 September 2010 11:34 AM, Narendra Diwate wrote:
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Jkhatri <khatri.ja...@gmail.com <mailto:khatri.ja...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Dear all,

    Anyone can light on this,

    I'm installing Linux on my usb 16GB stick , but I'm wondering why
    only vfat partition is needed to install the Linux on usb stick ,
    why we can't use extX type of FS to install the Linux????  is it
    necessary to have vfat partition to install Linux instead of its
    native FS... ? is there any solution for this ?

    I came to know that , SYSLINUX uses vfat .... thats why it is
    required ... but the same thing never happened in case of HDD ...
    I never formated my hdd with vft to install Linux, it boots from
    extX type of partition ... then why we need to format usb stick
    with vfat ????

Grub does not need FAT, so using grub should solve this. Just tried Unetbootin Tinycore to a Ext2 formated USB. Failed to boot. Didn't investigate.

HDD doesn't use syslinux, it uses grub, grub2 or lilo in most cases.

Regards

Narendra Diwate

how to use grub/grub2  boot KNOPPIX from usb stick ??? any idea

any link ?

--

Jatin Khatri

Web www.khatrijatin.co.nr <http://www.khatrijatin.co.nr/>

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin <http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin>

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save Paper, Save Environment.**
/*(Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)*/