There is a significant difference between installing to a HDD and
making a liveUSB. In the first case the entire file system is
extracted on to the hard disk.

On a USB you dont "install", you copy the compressed file system and
then make it bootable. This is to prevent frequent read/writes to the
USB flash memory which will reduce its life.

I dont know about knoppix, but *buntu has Startup disk creator that is
very good to make a USB drive bootable. Knoppix should have a similar
program. After all its the first live CD.

Unetbootin should work for most others. Fedora and Opensuse have their
own LiveUSB creators.

--
Regards

Narendra Diwate