On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Nitesh Mistry <mail...@mistrynitesh.net> wrote:
> You are mixing up two different things here, or may be I have
> misunderstood your query -
>
> Are you trying to *install* linux on the usb stick or creating a *Live
> USB Stick*

> You will need syslinux only if you are trying the latter. In case of
> your external HDD, you would have *installed* linux on it, and hence
> wouldn't have faced this problem.

good point, a live USB key would have to have its boot up stuff on it
and not on the computer

whereas adding an external device to the existing boot sequence is
very different - i tried it a few times and have failed :-(

> I frequently use my Elive LiveUSB key, which has grub installed for
> booting. And it is on a ext2 filesystem.

can it be any other filesystem , why only ext2

any link to a how to to this elive, or is it the USB startup disk creator

ram