On Monday 30 October 2006 06:00, "David Lodge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:12:55 +0100, Rodrigo Ortiz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> > In the Address section of the About Me dialog, the Home address has the
> > field State/Province, while the Work address has the field County. Both
> > should be State/Province in my opinion.
>
> I'll be honest - that was probably me in the upstream (i.e. Gnome)
> translation. I stand by this change, for en_GB, as it better reflects the
> GB perspective (we don't have states and provinces aren't normally
> applicable).

Both fields should be consistent, since they mean the same thing.

> Ubuntu may want to change this downstream as their en_GB translation
> covers more than just the UK.

This is a difficult one to decide upon. To pick only three Commonwealth
countries as an example:

  * the UK uses 'county'
  * Australia uses 'state'
  * Canada uses 'province'

While we could have 'County/State/Province', that could be considered to be
unwieldy.

Another point of contention is the 'City' field. For most Australians at
least, this is where they would enter their suburb name (e.g. 'Burwood',
not 'Sydney').

I have taken a page out of KDE's book and changed 'State/Province' to 'Region'
and 'City' to 'Locality'. These terms are more generic and should be
applicable just about anywhere. I ticked the 'Someone should review this
translation' box, so that we can discuss this change further if necessary. If
there are no objections, I'll remove those ticks to have the change made
official.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc