On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Dan Bishop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I also think that differentiating
> between a contact and a "meta-contact" (i.e. when one person has
> numerous accounts and you tell gaim/kopete/any other IM client that all
> those accounts are actually the same person, or where you add
> addresss/other details to them) is a bad idea. It adds confusion where
> there needn't be any. A "meta-contact" is still just a contact, you've
> just added more information about them than a regular contact.

But they are different. To take Kopete, for instance, there are Contacts,
Sub-contacts and Meta-contacts. A Contact is a name entry, which may have
multiple Sub-contacts within it to represent each of that person's accounts
on different networks (or multiple accounts on the same network). A
Meta-contact is an entry in Kaddressbook that you associate the Contact with.

In other words, Contacts and Sub-contacts are known only to Kopete, but
Meta-contacts are KDE-wide (i.e. Kaddressbook entries). To complicate
matters, entries in Kaddressbook are known as Contacts instead of
Meta-contacts. Hardly consistent :(

I don't know how the GNOME/GTK+ applications integrate in this department, but
these are the kinds of considerations that we need to make before altering
any terminology.

--
Tired of slowness, bugs, crashes, viruses, trojans, spyware, adware,
malware... ? Take back your computer. http://www.linux.org.au/linux