Hello,

I couldn't decide where the best place was to post this to.  If you feel
that this mailing list is not appropriate, and have an alternative
suggestion, I would be glad to hear it.

Some of you may have noticed that I posted this as a comment to Bug 1.  When
I read the other comments posted to that bug, most of them are on the lines
of

"Ubuntu is so much better than Windows that if people don't use it, it must
be a conspiracy".

Personally, I think that while Ubuntu may really be better for those
particular posters, it is probably not the case for many Windows users.
Furthermore, I think that even more could be done to investigate why Windows
users may have problems with Ubuntu.

I would like to suggest the following idea.  Ubuntu/Kubuntu users should be
encouraged to get non-Ubuntu users to try out Ubuntu/Kubuntu for a bit (a
few hours? days? As much as possible) and to produce a report about the
problems and annoyances that they encountered.  A forum or a place should be
created where they could upload these reports, and they should be encouraged
to create bug reports for as many of the problems as possible.  This might
help to address precisely the problems that put off Windows users.

I really suspect that many (although not all) of the problems will be quite
small and easily fixed.  I think that the average Windows user does not
expect to be able to install an operating system, and expects difficulties
and problems when they try to do unfamiliar things, but does expect to be
able to go about their daily tasks with no difficulties.

See Novell's usability project - http://www.betterdesktop.org/ - for a
similar project.

This would also be a nice easy but effective way that non-programmer Ubuntu
users could contribute back.  If enough people took part, this might (or is
that my wishful thinking?) have a significant effect on Ubuntu uptake, and
as a side effect introduce the "beta testers" to Ubuntu.

I am not subscribed to the mailing list, so it would be nice if you could CC
me any answers.

Regards,

Michael