Hi all,

I'd like to hear people's ideas on a proposal to create an ubuntu-news
team. Here is my rationale.

At the moment there are several initiatives around the Ubuntu community
which deal with Ubuntu-related news, both internal and external. The two
most prominent are the UWN and the Fridge. Other examples would be the
magazine initiative, and the news section on the Ubuntu website.

Currently all these initiatives are quite separate, in that occasionally
material and editorship overlap but generally the two are separate.

This position isn't efficient from a community perspective. It seems to
me that the people involved with each have common interests (i.e.
scouring the Ubuntu ecosystem for news and formulating stories from them).

Let me be clear - I'm *not* proposing any kind of merging of the
initiatives themselves, because I think that each of them has a specific
and useful goal. I'm *not* proposing any change of personnel around the
various initiatives. I'm simply proposing that the nature of the
activities be recognised as common and people working from each should
become part of the same team and share the same resources to work with
(in particular the same mailing list).

This would also improve the ease of contribution for people who would
like to become involved in the various initiatives. Right now the fact
that various teams exist makes it a bit complicated in terms of becoming
involved. In particular, the fact that the UWN is within the realm of
the "marketing team" is not obvious for a newcomer to the community,
because "marketing" generally involves the promotion of a product to new
users, and the UWN (the goal of which seems to me to be aiding
communication within the Ubuntu community) doesn't fall within that
definition.

So in sum, I'd propose that those working on the Fridge and those
working on the UWN become part of an ubuntu-news team, and work on a
common mailing list called ubuntu-news-submissions (which in my view
could be renamed from the existing list called
ubuntu-marketing-submissions). Such a team would be structured carefully
in order to preserve the existing positions of editorship.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. After a consultative period, if
people are generally positive about the idea, maybe we can start talking
about ways to take this forward.

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org