Hi Vid,

Just to correct a couple of misunderstandings from my original post:

* Vid Ayer:
> On 5/28/07, Matthew East <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Let me be clear - I'm *not* proposing any kind of merging of the
>> initiatives themselves, because I think that each of them has a specific
>> and useful goal. I'm *not* proposing any change of personnel around the
>> various initiatives. I'm simply proposing that the nature of the
>> activities be recognised as common and people working from each should
>> become part of the same team and share the same resources to work with
>> (in particular the same mailing list).
>>

> ...probably start by removing the term -marketing that got tagged with
> the "Ubuntu news" aspect.

Right, that's my proposal :)

>> So in sum, I'd propose that those working on the Fridge and those
>> working on the UWN become part of an ubuntu-news team, and work on a
>> common mailing list called ubuntu-news-submissions (which in my view
>
> IIRC, the Fridge was supposed to be some kind of semi-official voice
> for Ubuntu and we have Canonical employees there too, ... so has that
> changed ?
>
> Some differences between UWN and Fridge that I see are :
> * Fridge has a formal tone. This was what was told to us at the start
> so will that change with the UWN being more informal and all ?
> * Will this change the tone of the Fridge? What does Canonical have to
> say on this ?

I'm not proposing that the differences between the two change. In fact,
I'm not proposing that either initiative change in any way for the
purposes of this idea. However, the task of gathering news and
coordinating news writing is common to both the projects (and others),
so I'd like to bring the people involved closer and working on the same
mailing list.

>> could be renamed from the existing list called
>> ubuntu-marketing-submissions). Such a team would be structured carefully
>> in order to preserve the existing positions of editorship.
>
> please, not yet another list.... have a heart, I am on over 100+ lists
> as is :-/

Nope, the idea is that ubuntu-marketing-submissions and fridge-devel
would be replaced by the ubuntu-news-submissions list; so in fact we
would end up with one fewer.

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org