Matthew East wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to hear people's ideas on a proposal to create an ubuntu-news
> team. Here is my rationale.
>
> At the moment there are several initiatives around the Ubuntu community
> which deal with Ubuntu-related news, both internal and external. The two
> most prominent are the UWN and the Fridge. Other examples would be the
> magazine initiative, and the news section on the Ubuntu website.
>
> Currently all these initiatives are quite separate, in that occasionally
> material and editorship overlap but generally the two are separate.
>
> This position isn't efficient from a community perspective. It seems to
> me that the people involved with each have common interests (i.e.
> scouring the Ubuntu ecosystem for news and formulating stories from them).
>
> Let me be clear - I'm *not* proposing any kind of merging of the
> initiatives themselves, because I think that each of them has a specific
> and useful goal. I'm *not* proposing any change of personnel around the
> various initiatives. I'm simply proposing that the nature of the
> activities be recognised as common and people working from each should
> become part of the same team and share the same resources to work with
> (in particular the same mailing list).
>
> This would also improve the ease of contribution for people who would
> like to become involved in the various initiatives. Right now the fact
> that various teams exist makes it a bit complicated in terms of becoming
> involved. In particular, the fact that the UWN is within the realm of
> the "marketing team" is not obvious for a newcomer to the community,
> because "marketing" generally involves the promotion of a product to new
> users, and the UWN (the goal of which seems to me to be aiding
> communication within the Ubuntu community) doesn't fall within that
> definition.
>
> So in sum, I'd propose that those working on the Fridge and those
> working on the UWN become part of an ubuntu-news team, and work on a
> common mailing list called ubuntu-news-submissions (which in my view
> could be renamed from the existing list called
> ubuntu-marketing-submissions). Such a team would be structured carefully
> in order to preserve the existing positions of editorship.
>
> I look forward to hearing your thoughts. After a consultative period, if
> people are generally positive about the idea, maybe we can start talking
> about ways to take this forward.
>
> Matt

I'm strongly in favor of the general idea of the proposition.

Others may have heard me say that I don't think the UWN or the fridge
belong into marketing, as they are intra-community communications ;) I
haven't thought of this solution, though.

Creating a new team, be it ubuntu-news or another name, which should
take care of these communications, would both organise the work around
those better, and would really help clean up the Marketing Team's own tasks.

- --
¦ Jenda Vančura                   _  Join the ASCII Ribbon Campaign  ¦
¦ GnuPG: 519D056A                ( ) http://www.asciiribbon.org      ¦
¦ Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  X  Against HTML e-mail             ¦
¦ Email/Paypal: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / \ Against proprietary attachments ¦