tis 2007-08-14 klockan 09:53 +0100 skrev Matthew East:
> Hi,
>
> On 14/08/07, alan c <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > My agenda is to encourage success for ubuntu, not pclos.
>
> I'm sure that's true.
>
> The responses to your post are quite right however: from a technical
> point of view the article you've linked to is pretty inaccurate and
> poor quality.
>
> But to move this thread on, I think it's better to focus on your
> position that Ubuntu is losing out on popularity to PCLinuxOS, and be
> constructive: do you have any ideas about *how* Ubuntu can address the
> position. It's all very well to use the word "marketing" willy-nilly,
> but if that isn't backed up with proposals to do something positive,
> then it's not very useful.
>
> Here's one idea to kick off: perhaps writing a constructive response
> to articles like this might be helpful, pointing out all the mistakes
> (for example, that Ubuntu has also only been around for a few years,
> since 2004, that PCLinuxOS / Ubuntu both use apt, that codecs like
> those required to play mp3s are automatically installed when required,
> hardware support, and highlighting any advantages Ubuntu has, such as
> good security responses or whatever).

This seems like a good thing to start with. we already have Aaron
Toponce's email which we can flesh out and post.

After that we should stop focusing on why Ubuntu is a good choice, and
start talking about why Ubuntu is a better, or the best choice. We
should start comparing Ubuntu with other distros and OS'. We should put
extra effort into marketing Gutsy which got all of these extraordinary
features like Compiz-Fusion, APTonCD, and this unified
desktop-settings-frontend for Gnome.

And we shouldn't forget to mention the very big community-support. Like
the fact that when you google on technical topics, you are very likely
to find a ubuntu-based HowTo in the en first hits.

Martin