Aaron Toponce wrote:
> alan c wrote:

<snip>

>> What I actually see is an erosion of the top place that ubuntu has in
>> the distrowatch rankings. It is a number, and it is moving in the
>> wrong direction. I also see some publicity, including hype, that
>> encourages attention for and use of pclinuxos. When it goes up the
>> rankings, there is a congratulations on the forum (when I looked at
>> one time a while ago). The team is focussed on success, why not? One
>> success would be 'Top of distrowatch'. For all I know every pclos user
>> clicks on distrowatch twice each day!
>
> First off, Distrowatch rankings are only the number of page hits on
> Distrowatch's site, not the distro site.  Again, these are just page
> hits, and should be taken very likely.  No distro's success hangs on the
> page rankings of distrowatch.  A true measurement of success is
> dependent on many variables, not just page hits.  Again, I would take
> the rankings on Distrowatch very lightly.

The success of Mint should be taken into account. It's currently at 5th
place in the distrowatch 7-day rankings.
"Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a
more complete out-of-the-box experience by including browser plugins,
media codecs, support for DVD playback, Java and other components. It is
compatible with Ubuntu software repositories."
The question then becomes one of how can we make K/Ubuntu more complete,
'out-of-the-box'.

Regards

John