Onno Benschop wrote:
> On 28/05/08 10:13, John Botscharow wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 07:50 +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
>>
>>> One of the major challenges I had (and still have) - is the visibility
>>> of this particular group of individuals - the Marketing Team.
>>>

>> Would you elaborate on this, please. Perhaps your response may shed some
>> light on what we need to be doing as a team.
>>
> As a member of the Ubuntu Server team I am participating in a marketing
> and data-gathering effort - in our case we decided that we needed a
> survey to understand better the needs of our user-base. I volunteered to
> prepare the launch by writing a press-release and determining whom to
> forward this release to.
>
> I had to invent resources to achieve my aim, rather than be able to
> reuse and coordinate with any existing marketing effort.
>
> Specifically, resources that I was in need of:
>
>    1. Guidelines on "the Ubuntu way" of preparing a release.
>    2. A wiki "press release" template to assist me in the creation of
>       our press release.
>    3. A standard distribution method for our press release.
>    4. A central point where our team could coordinate our release with
>       the rest of Ubuntu/Canonical.
>    5. A central marketing plan indicating where we could connect our
>       team effort into the greater whole.
>

> To be fair, we've not yet launched, there is still time to achieve the
> above, but at the moment our effort is isolated from any other efforts.
>
> At present it looks to me as if many resources are wasted by duplicating
> the effort. There appears to be no "collective memory" being built up
> that benefits the balance of the Ubuntu Community.
>
> The collective wisdom of a bunch of programmers can be expressed as
> software - which is why the bazaar works so well.
>
> There does not appear to be a similar approach to our marketing efforts.
>
> I should point out that I've been in the IT industry for over 25 years,
> that I've run my own business for the past 9 years, but I've not had
> nearly as much experience within Ubuntu. My first Ubuntu install was
> made in June 2006 and I've been submitting bugs and patches since.
>
> What I'm trying to say with the above is that it may well be that the
> resources I'm looking for already exist and that my lack of Ubuntu
> experience made me miss them, in which case they need more visibility -
> as in, the marketing team needs to market them.
>
> May I also suggest that it would be useful for a member of this team to
> attend, or at least notify conveners of team meetings, that your team
> exists and can provide resources (assuming the above resources I
> outlined above actually exist or are created).
>
> Finally, perhaps it would be useful to use the brainstorm site, that I
> understand qa set-up, to start developing a plan and foster marketing ideas.
>
> I think that integration with LoCo's is essential, but it needs to link
> with Canonical and all other Ubuntu-teams.
>
> Perhaps the model might be "the kernel of ubuntu marketing".

> [...]

I am interested in knowing what server marketing activities develop,
and if I can I will try to support them (now I am aware).
It is great that you have found this list!

However, I do hope and trust that this list will proceed with its
suggested aspirations to become more effective fast, while accepting
that some actions will be followed up in the future, without any delay
at this time.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391