On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:11 AM, John Botscharow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Tord,
>
> Thank you for clarifying that for us all. Being relatively new here, I
> was actually beginning to believe the myth myself, hard as it was to
> try and swallow.
>
> And for the sake of honesty and openness, duplication, or as I like to
> refer to it - secession - is an option that I am not ruling out for
> myself. Depends on what happens here in the next few days.

I don't understand why you're getting so frustrated and feel the need to
consider withdrawing from the marketing team. Can you help me understand?

> [...]
> > > committee - has to take responsibility for that.
> > >
> > > This individual/committee has to take responsibility for achieving
> > > the marketing needs and goals of the customer - in this case, the
> > > Ubuntu community. Someone has to be held accountable for meeting
> > > those needs.
> > >
> > > There is, IMHO, no one, not ever Cody, the team administrator, who
> > > is held accountable for or takes responsibility for whether the
> > > marketing team is meeting the marketing needs of the Ubuntu
> > > community.
> > >
> > > That is what I am working on in discussions with some other people
> > > on this team who have expressed interest in team leadership - a
> > > proposal for a group of marketers who will be responsible for and
> > > held accountable for achieving the marketing goal - Fixing Bug #1 -
> > > of the Ubuntu community. And, IMHO, that is what the entire Ubuntu
> > > community is waiting for us to do - why they are so interested in
> > > this discussion.
> > >
> > > Given that no one, as far as I can tell, has much of a marketing
> > > success track record, operative word being marketing, selecting this
> > > committee by meritocracy is not possible. An election is an option
> > > but that takes time. and at this point in the history of this team,
> > > I am not sure that the results of such an election would be the
> > > best for meeting the needs of the Ubuntu community.
> > >
> > > My opinion on this, and these are the people, with one exception, I
> > > have tried to get together are the people on this list who have
> > > publicly expressed a desire and willingness to be responsible, and
> > > hopefully - although we have not yet discussed this - be held
> > > accountable for meeting the marketing goal of the Ubuntu community.
> > > And who either have prior MARKETING experience or have exhibited
> > > that they understand what marketing is all about. Sorry, people,
> > > but, IMHO, most of you have a very limited understanding of
> > > marketing and how it works. That's not a criticism but a statement
> > > of fact based on my observations of what is being said and done
> > > here.
> > >
> > > I am not familiar with all the in and outs, both technical and
> > > political, of how things get done on the Ubuntu community. But I do
> > > know marketing, having done it in one form or another since I was a
> > > kid with a paper route. And, honestly, knowing marketing should be
> > > the ONLY real criteria for leadership on this team. Anything else
> > > can be delegated to people with the appropriate technical skills or
> > > political savvy.
> > >
> > > Finally, if the FOSS model that seems to be invoking as something
> > > sacrosanct does not work for this team, then let's find one that
> > > does work. But, IMO. the REAL FOSS model does work with some
> > > modification, perhaps, because of the particular place this team is
> > > at at this particular time. Reserve judgment until you actually
> > > have something to judge and stop nitpicking because we are perhaps
> > > going against what everyone else is supposedly doing.

Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Engineer
Red Cow Marketing & Technologies, Inc.
Office: 506-458-1290